Senior Scientist, Landscape Ecologist (Ref: 1104)
Forests and Environments Programme
The Center for International Forestry Research advances human wellbeing, environmental conservation and equity by conducting research to inform policies and practices that affect forests in developing countries. We are one of 15 centres within the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, and we have offices in Asia, Africa and South America.
CIFOR is looking for a visionary Senior Scientist, Landscape Ecologist
Duties and responsibilities
Under the leadership of the Programme Director, the Scientist will develop, facilitate and manage research projects at various sites globally.
The Scientist will:
- Lead the GIS and Remote Sensing unit, and provide support to other research staff and projects across all CIFOR research programmes and research domains;
- Be responsible for guiding and implementing effective server-based methods for delivering spatial data across the organisation and to the public websites;
- Participate in CIFOR’ s six research domains;
- Help facilitate and identify strategic opportunities in the domains;
- Provide scientific leadership and management, and undertake appropriate research;
- Develop and maintain partnerships;
- Develop and maintain donor relations;
- Support capacity building initiatives and staff development, and encourage continuous improvement and learning.
Details of duties, assignments and objectives will be further discussed and laid out in an annual performance contract.
Education, experience and technical skills
- PhD in remote sensing, landscape ecology, modelling with the following specification:
- demonstrable experience in techniques (best practices) for the spatial modelling of biophysical properties and processes (plant, soil, water, interactions)
- demonstrated experience applying advanced methods of analysing remotely sensed data to extract precise and accurate information.
- A strong forestry, ecology, natural resource management or other related fields.
- Good publications record especially in scientific and technical journals.
- Track record in resource mobilisation or fund raising and in proposal development and writing.
- Fluency in English is required; proficiency in other international languages is preferred.
- Experience in working with multiple partners and working in developing countries are preferred.
- Strong project management and organizational skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, experienced in working with multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary research teams.
- Proven teambuilding capacity.
- Values the sharing of information and continuous improvement in a cooperative atmosphere of constructive evaluation and learning, and is committed to staff’s development.
Terms and Conditions
- This is an internationally recruited position. CIFOR offers a competitive remuneration commensurate with skills and experience.
- The appointment will be for 3 years, including a standard 1-year probationary period, with the possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of this position and available resources.
- The application deadline is 31 May 2011.
- We will acknowledge all applications, but we will contact only short-listed candidates.
Please send your letter of interest and CV, including contact information for three referees to:
Human Resources Department, CIFOR
Please indicate the position and its reference number in the email subject line.