Sustainable economic development (SED) is one of the key Hivos programme sectors. Within the SED sector Hivos prioritizes partners working on sustainable production, financial services and renewable energy. To assist the further development of its SED programme in Indonesia Hivos seeks to recruit a Programme Officer (Indonesian national) for a period of two years (with the possibility of a further extension of one year, after which the continuation of the services will be reviewed).
The function is Jakarta-based, with frequent travel within Indonesia and occasional trips abroad (max. 1-2 trips per year). The contract will be for a period of two years and can be extended for maximum one year if performance is satisfactory.
The candidate should have strong qualifications and working experience in either:
Sustainable production (with emphasis on supporting farmers in accessing quality product markets, value chain development, certification and strengthening farmer organisations) or Financial services (microfinance, business development services).
The PO will work in a team with the present PO SED and the portfolio will be divided depending on specialisation.
- Management of Hivos portfolio for Sustainable Production or Financial Services
- Development of relevant initiatives in partnership with other stakeholders
- Contribution to Hivos overall organizational and policy development
- Identification and accessing funding sources for Hivos programmes in Indonesia and Timor Leste.
a. Programme Management
- Identification of potential partner organisations and promising initiatives
- Initial assessment of incoming credit and funding proposals leading to rejection or taking into proper assessment procedures
- Processing proposals from existing and new partner organisations.
- Preparation of all necessary documents and administrative handlings for new and ongoing contractual
- Monitoring partners including routine correspondence, field visit, dealing with ad hoc s and organisational matters of partners
- Reviewing annual progress reports and financial statements of partners
- Organisation of external evaluations and other consultancy inputs
b. Institutional Tasks
- External relations / networking.
- Preparation of annual plans (programme related).
- Contribution to programme highlights to annual report, mid term review and end of term review.
- Contribution to development of and implement of regional and sector policies of Hivos
- Promotion of Hivos’ SED programme
- Development of expertise in one of the SED thematic areas
- Fundraise for the development of SED programme
- Preparation of Hivos publications on sector specific issues
- Organise occasionally in-house and external seminars or consultations
- Attending seminars, conferences and workshops
The Programme Officers are accountable to the Director Regional Office. As Hivos POs are organised in a matrix, they are expected to work closely with other SED POs under the coordination of the Programme Managers based in Hivos Head Office. POs participate in Annual planning meetings of the global sector teams.
• Hivos is looking for a Indonesian national (m/f) with:
• University degree in relevant field such as natural resource management (agriculture, etc.), economics, social science (with focus on development studies or economics), business administration
• At least five years working experience in a relevant field
• Work experience should be either in agricultural product chain development (quality markets, certification, farmer organisation) or in business development and microfinance
• Knowledge of and experience with renewable energy projects or programmes will be an asset
• Good understanding of and strong affinity with civil society, in particular with non-governmental organizations.
• Excellent computers skills and affinity with ICT solutions relevant for the SED sector
• Able to work in a matrix structure (as a member of a global virtual SED Team)
• Ability to analyse financial annual reports of companies (and development organisations)
• Good communication skills, proficiency in English is a must
• A good team worker.
• Prior experience in a donor environment will be regarded as an asset.
Candidates are expected to have affinity to Hivos core values.
A competency test will be part of the selection procedure.
Remuneration is competitive with what is offered by most other INGOs based in Indonesia. The net salary for the programme officer will depend on qualifications and experience. The secondary benefits include a 13th month (THR) and health insurance.
Applicants should send a CV and cover letter explaining your qualifications and motivation to: Hivos Southeast Asia Regional Office, attn. Recruitment Officer, by email to email@example.com with reference code ‘vacSED PO’. In your application letter you should clearly indicate whether you are interested in the position of PO Sustainable Production or the position of PO Financial Services. Applications should include the name of three references. Applications without a proper cover letter will not be considered. Applications are requested by February 20 2009; thereafter positions will remain open until filled.