Academy for Educational Development Implementing Partner for USAID North Sumatra
Reading Program Coordinator
Decentralized Basic Education, Teaching and Learning (DBE2), Medan, Indonesia
The Reading Program Coordinator (RPC) will be responsible for overseeing the implementation of the DBE 2 Classroom Reading Program in the province in, close coordination with the Jakarta-based Reading Program Manager and key technical staff in the provincial office. The RPC will implement a program of training and onsite teacher mentoring for Grade 1-3 teachers involved in DBE 2 reading activities. The RPC will provide technical support and guidance to DEE 2 field staff (Master Teacher Trainers involved in reading program activities The RPC will also work closely with DBE 2’s giants and procurement teams. providing assistance related to the development and review of grants applications and reports and procurement of non-text book reading materials ensuring the timely distribution of reading materials to DBE 2 schools. The RPC is based in the DBE 2 provincial office in Medan with regular travel to DBE 2 schools. The RPC will report to the Provincial Coordinator and coordinate closely with the Jakarta-based Reading Program Manager.
Academy for Educational Development (AED) is a nonprofit organization working globally to improve education health civil society and economic development-the foundation of thriving societies. Indonesia funds the Decentralized Basic Education (DBE) Program as its flagship education investment in Indonesia and the overall programs divided into three projects. USAID’s Decentralized Basic Education. Teaching and Learning (DBE 2) Program seeks to improve the quality of leaching and learning to Indonesian public and private sector primary schools. DBE is based on successful aspects of existing efforts to improve educational quality and seeks to leverage these efforts by focusing more on teacher training and the learning environment. An intricate combination of teacher training, school-based management classroom materials development, civic education and service learning early childhood education, university partnerships and ICT strategies will be implemented to strengthen Indonesian primary education system, ensuring that Indonesian youth have the knowledge necessary to compete in the global economy.
Job Qualifications and Skills required:
- Possess a university degree Ina field related to education, reading instruction/language acquisition or a relevant combination of id and education experience.
- Minimum of five years of classroom teaching experience including a strong background in primary education (early primary strongly preferred)
- Direct experience in designing and implementing teacher training activities ideally related to language instruction reading and writing
- Willingness to travel
- Demonstrated knowledge of the principles of language acquisition, second language instruction, and the teaching of reading and writing in lower primary learners
- Knowledge and understanding of children s literature and ideally Indonesian folk literature
- Ability to transfer skills and knowledge to teachers and teacher support providers by using a variety of adult teaching strategies including problem solving, demonstration, and mentoring
- Demonstrated organizational and logistical abilities. Must be able to plan, organize and use time effectively in a fast-paced environment
- Ability and desire to work effectively both as a team member and individually
- Self-motivated, ability to take initiative
- Excellent oral and written Bahasa Indonesia skills, English proficiency also preferred
- Computer literate, including Microsoft Word Excel and PowerPoint
Application: To apply for this position please send a cover letter and CV/resume in English to: Human Resources DBE2, Jalan DI Pandjaitan 166, Medan 20119 Sumatera Utara. Encourage to apply through email at email@example.com by June 30, 2009.
Interested internal staffs are encouraged to apply. Applications will be reviewed upon receipt and this position will remain open until filled. Only applicants selected for the position will be contacted. AED is an equal opportunity employer.