Job Title: Environmental Safeguards Specialist
Job Family: Environment
Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- During project preparation, identify which of the Bank’s safeguards policies will be triggered and which instruments are best suited to comply with these policies. Subsequently, assist the borrower/project implementing agency in preparing these instruments, review them for quality and present them to sector management and/or the East Asia Regional Safeguards Secretariat for approval. The environmental safeguards specialist will also be expected to contribute well-written summaries of key safeguards instruments for inclusion in project documentation;
- During project implementation, supervise compliance with the Bank’s safeguards policy by building effective working relationships with the borrower/project implementing agency to ensure proper understanding of the policies. The environmental safeguards specialist will be expected to help the borrower/implementing agency apply the safeguards policies effectively.
- During both preparation and implementation, the environmental safeguards specialist will go beyond narrow policy compliance to look for opportunities to improve the environmental outcomes of the project he/she is supporting and indeed the whole portfolio of Bank engagements.
- Provision of inputs to various environmental strategy documents, OP 8.60 reviews for development policy loans, and wider sectoral reviews of environmental and social impacts that go beyond specific projects.
- Provision of training and mentioning to junior environmental specialists in order to strengthen the capacity of the Jakarta-office safeguards team.
The selected candidate should have the following qualifications:
- Master’s degree or equivalent academic qualification in a relevant discipline, e.g. environmental engineering, environmental economics, biology, etc.
- Minimum of 5 years of professional experience in the environmental sector, preferably assessing environmental impacts around infrastructure or agriculture projects;
- Excellent knowledge of environmental legislation and institutions in Indonesia;
- Prior familiarity with World Bank safeguards policies and their interpretation will be a distinct advantage;
- Familiarity with social safeguards issues (particularly field experience with involuntary resettlement) will also be an advantage.
- The ideal candidate will also have the following skills:
- Ability to work in multidisciplinary teams based in multiple locations on diverse and complex tasks;
- Strong client orientation with the ability to build an understanding with implementing agency counterparts on the value-added of Bank safeguards;
- A drive for results while working with limited supervision and under tight timelines;
- A penchant for solving problems rather than merely identifying them;
- An ability to think innovatively and negotiate effectively;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and Bahasa Indonesia (an English writing sample is requested upon application);
- Willingness to travel within Indonesia as well as internationally as necessary.
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
Closing Date: 17-Jan-2011