Communication and External Relations Officer
Scope of Work
The Communication and External Relations Officer (CERO) will plan, develop and implement effective communications and outreach strategies for MDF and JRF, working closely with all external stakeholders of the reconstruction efforts. A key role of the CERO is to raise awareness and understanding about, and improve the image of, the MDF Aceh-Nias and JRF externally as well as internally within the World Bank. The CERO would be responsible for oversight and guidance of the technical content of the work program of the Outreach Officer in Aceh, under the overall guidance of the Deputy Manager in Aceh. The CERO is also expected to coordinate closely with team members of the Secretariat in Jakarta, Aceh and Yogyakarta. The CERO will report to the Deputy Fund Manager in Jakarta on all aspects if his/her work program and work under the overall guidance of the Fund Manager.
The Officer’s specific duties include the following:
a. Managing all aspects of communication including
- Updating the communication plan as needed and follow-up of the MDF and JRF Mid-Term Review recommendations
- Provision of public information concerning the trust funds as well as development of related material, e.g. brochures and other print collaterals, videos, electronic information, merchandising/visibility, special events, etc.
- Coordinate preparation of MDF and JRF events that includes event planning, budgeting, logistics, and associated tasks;
- Planning and organizing all events, including media events, handling inquiries and relations with the national and international media, e.g. interviews, press releases, press briefings/conferences, provision of documents, pitch stories, site visits, etc.
- Overseeing production of the semi-annual and annual progress reports; preparation of the Communication chapter of the semi-annual and annual reports and the monthly updates.
- Develop visibility material, working closely with the Secretariat team
- Develop content and maintain the web sites regularly with relevant information
- Providing guidance on the coordination and communications activities in Aceh and Nias as well as Yogyakarta (including complaint referral mechanism and local interactive communications campaign and local media management) in close coordination with Deputy Managers in Jakarta and Aceh & Nias.
- Provide input to the managers in Jakarta and Aceh and the team in managing communication with government officials
- Coordinate with the World Bank EXT team for related program/activities related to the trust funds, including presentations and field visits.
- Ensure visibility of MDF and JRF for all projects externally by Partner Agencies and projects and internally by the country office and the East Asia Pacific region of the World Bank.
b. Coordinating the preparation of Technical Review Meetings, Steering Committee Meetings and ad-hoc high-level meetings by:
- Formulating a draft agenda for each meeting and reviewing it with the Fund manager and relevant Secretariat team members, eg Cluster Focal Points
- Arranging logistics for each meeting (venue, refreshments, etc.)
- Recording and preparing the minutes with relevant Cluster Focal Points of the MDF and JRF portfolio and distribution of the minutes
- Maintaining all forms of distribution lists for circulating information about Committee meetings (coordinate draft invitation, reminder and follow up notes) and disseminating all forms of visibility materials
- Maintaining contacts with the relevant parties, liaise with relevant external agency protocol teams, ensure correspondence are recorded and responded; including outreach to CSO in Aceh and Nias and at the national level.
c. Maintaining relations with donors and potential donors by
- Serving as the focal point for donors and potential donors who are seeking information on the trust funds
- Regularly canvassing active donors to ensure that the Secretariat is aware of their relevant interests and concerns
- Facilitate participation of donors for field visits, supervision and appraisal missions
d. Coordination with the relevant recovery agency on relevant activities
- Focal point for any meetings/events arranged by the local governments, Bappenas and donors, such as workshop, exhibits, seminar, and policy dialogues, etc.
- Promote policy dialogue where possible, and help create dialogue opportunities on various subjects.
To qualify for the position, the Officer will need to possess the following:
- Education: MA/MS in communications, international relations/ public affairs, journalism, marketing, political science or other related field with minimum of 5 years related/relevant experience or BA/BS and 10 years related/relevant experience
- Ability to lead a team, coach and mentor junior staff. Proven planning and organizational skills.
- Ability to operate effectively in a matrix management, work with team members in multiple locations and in high-pressure environment
- Strong interpersonal skills, and ability to deal sensitively in multi-cultural environments and build effective working relations with donors, project teams and colleagues
- Fluent in English and national language – written and spoken. Presentation skills will be an advantage.
- Good understanding of the Bank, its policies and operations; up to date knowledge of current development topics and issues
Closing Date: 19-Sep-2009