Research Officer, REDD and Governance Forests and Governance Programme
(Based in Bogor, Indonesia)
The Center for International Forestry Research advances human wellbeing, environmental conservation, and equity by conducting research to inform policies and practices that affect forests in developing countries. With headquarters in Bogor, Indonesia and offices in Asia, Africa and South America, CIFOR works in over 30 countries worldwide and has links with researchers in 50 international, regional and national organizations. CIFOR is a member of the CGIAR (Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research).
CIFOR is looking for a Research Officer (REDD & Governance) for its Forests and Governance Programme.
Two of CIFOR’s six strategic research domains are: Enhancing the role of forests in climate mitigation and Enhancing the role of forests in adaptation to climate change. The Forests and Governance Programme contributes to each of these strategic research domains. The Research Officer will be part of a governance/climate team and will support the scientists in the governance programme. He/she will perform a variety of tasks, as needed and directed.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1) Participate in research:
- Coordinate research/fieldwork in selected locations.
- Participate in fieldwork as required.
- Maintain appropriate communications with key stakeholders and partners as requested by the project manager. These may include local and national government agencies, environmental and development, social advocacy NGOs, (private companies, if applicable), and donor organizations;
- Maintain databases related to the project/programme.
- Assist in (literature) review, data analysis, and other tasks supporting research.
- Assist with the preparation and publication of research results/reports.
- Oversee the development of a database containing the data obtained from interviews and surveys in association with global comparative work on REDD governance.
- Assist in other research activities as required.
2) Provide project management assistance in:
- Manage contracts and agreements with research partners, donors, consultants, and interns.
- Contribute to the development of project proposals.
- Maintain and monitor technical and financial records, in close collaboration with the finance unit.
- Assist in organising workshops, training or field work as required.
- Assist in reporting (minutes, translation, etc).
- Other duties as required by the project.
3) Support cross-programme/cross project coordination by:
- Coordinate activities, meetings and discussions.
- Assist annual planning and development of medium term plans.
- Assist in coordination of domain projects for enhances overall domain strategy implementation.
- Other duties as needed/required by the programme director.
Education, Experience and Technical Skills:
- Masters degree is preferred, in political economy, political science, environmental and natural resources management or other related discipline.
- Experience of conducting research on climate change issues.
- Familiarity with donor activities and processes.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Strong computer skills in word processing, database management and other relevant applications.
- Competent in personal organisation and priority setting, with the ability to work effectively under time pressure and manage multiple priorities.
- Have initiative and be capable of working independently as well as being an effective team player.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to effectively interact with people in a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural environment.
- Experience of working with a wide and diverse network of groups and individuals.
Terms of Appointment:
The position will be based in Bogor, Indonesia. The appointment will be for an initial period of three years. An extension is possible. Compensation will be commensurate with skills and experience.
Applications will be accepted until a candidate is identified. All applications will be acknowledged, however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted. All correspondence will be held in confidence. Please send a letter of interest with your curriculum vitae to:
Human Resources Department, CIFOR
Please indicate the position to which you are applying in the email subject line.
To learn more about CIFOR and living in Indonesia, please visit our website: http://www.cifor.cgiar.org